I love Moz and have seen quite a bit of her. This time I’m probably just going to be passing through, from Zim to Malawi. But with a few sights along the way. Approximate timing: early May.
What sights am I missing? Please add any suggestions in comments below.
Part 1: Southern Interior close to Zim and Malawi
- Straight drive from Mutare, via Chimoio.
- 538m suspension bridge spanning Zambezi river
- Beautiful small villages and bad roads to Cahora Bassa Dam
- Emile at Casa de Pesca at Cahora Bassa Dam
- Missão de Boroma, 25km NW of Tete
- Zobue, a very busy border crossing and also a terrible road from Tete but also possibly a good border post into Malawi?
AROUND LAKE MALAWI
- Lake Niassa, on the lake. Underdeveloped. Maybe a ferry from Malawi side?
- Train ride from Cuamba to Nampula (and then on to Mozambique island).
- Gurue. Tea plantations, jacarandas etc. Close to rock paintings.
- Chimanimani mountains. Forms part of the Chimanimani Transfrontier Conversation Area with the Chimanimani park in Zimbabwe. Biodiversity, including tropical rain forests, cave paintings, sacred water pools etc. Hike or 4×4.
- Gorongosa National Park. Close to former Renamo head quarters, so be ware of mines etc. But also big efforts to restock animals etc.
Part 2: Northern Coast
- Isla Mozambique (or Ilha de Moçambique) – road joining the mainland, lively sidewalk cafes, museums and a World Heritage Site.
CLOSE TO TANZANIA BORDER
- Quirimbas Islands and Archipelago.
- Ibo Island – a bit further south of the main island cluster, close to Pemba. Has forts and crumbling mansions.