I must admit that Namibia is the most hyped country that I’m least excited to see. Sure, Brangelina think it’s cool, but “seen one dune, seen ’em all”? Approximate timing: November 2018 (I know – it’s going to be very hot hey)
Help me fall in love with this place. Add more to this list by posting a comment below.
Part 1: Northern Part
AROUND CAPRIVI STRIP AND ANGOLA BORDER
- Mudumu National Park
- Bargani (border crossover into Botswana)
- Otjozondjupa – learn about the modern San
- Mpalila Island – luxury and expensive.
- Ruacana Falls – crossing the border into Angola (or Epupa Falls)
- Check the time of year and how the roads are. Try to drive in convoy with people because its very remote and isolated.
- Try to get to the mouth of the Cunene and north Skeleton Coast
- The coast road along the skeleton coast is very drivable all the way down to Swakopmund (Assuming you can get to the coast at Cunene)
AROUND ETOSHA NATIONAL PARK
- Etosha National Park
- Grootfontein – worlds largest meteorite
- Giant Baobab Tree
- Waterberg Plateau
- Tommies Living Desert Tours (just outside Swakopmund) See the little 6.
- Henties Bay
- Walvis Bay – do a marine tour here (seals, dolphins, etc.).
- Nkeskloof (sp?)
- Opuwo and the Himba iconic tribe
- Welwitschia Drive
- Some river bed that’s supposed to be incredible.
- Phillips Cave
- Gams Art Festival and also Wild Cinema festivals – around October/November
Part 2: Southern Part
- Sesriem Canyon (a bit forced camp-site, but nice, per Luke)
- Solitaire – Weltevreden Guest Farm is a great option to stay and travel to Sossusvlei daily. Lots of freedom of movement here, unlike some of the other game parks close by.
- Naukluft Mountains
- Fish River Canyon
- Sperrgebiet National Park
- Orange River
- Grunau and Karasburg – nice mountain range, but rather the Richtersveld.
- I think I can enter ZA through the Transfrontier Park
- Augrabies Falls – in ZA, and amazing. Great backpackers here. Species of lizard here that are pretty and densely populated.
- Inside Augrabies National Park. Half-mense etc. Very pretty and interesting.